Knowles is pleased to announce our recent appointment by Thackeray Estates as Main Contractor for shell and core works at The Castle Club, Fulham. Working closely with Thackeray Group, alongside Architect Darling Associates and Structural Engineers, Engineeria, we look forward to delivering the highly anticipated scheme, beginning in early November 2021.
Built in 1855, by architect Horace Francis, The Castle Club, built in the Gothic Revival style and a juxtaposition from the local surroundings, The Castle Club is known as an iconic building located within the Hurlingham Conservation Area in Parsons Green.
Formerly the Eight Feathers Club, and originally a private school, once completed The Castle Club will be a new state-of-the-art care home supporting the local Fulham area.
Within Knowles’ scope of works are the following aspects:
- Alterations and restoration to existing Grade II listed building, constructed 1855, comprising of red brick with stone dressings and slate roof.
- Build of a new 4-storey Shell & Core structure including a 5,000 sq/ft basement – linked to the existing building
- Secant piled basement with raft foundation, perimeter RC liner walls and retaining walls + full basement cavity drainage waterproofing system
- Piled foundations to support ground floor level slabs
- RC concrete & steel frame with RC concrete slabs, RC walls and riser openings
- Low maintenance green roof areas with access routes, hard landscaped plant areas and terraces, mansafe systems, rooflights, and glazed balustrades to terrace
- RC lift core
- Building envelope works (external cladding, windows, external doors)
- Internal alterations to suit new shell & core layout
- External works including site wide drainage, hard landscaping
The sympathetic yet modern extension will introduce additional floor space and the design will reinvigorate and reinstate a local landmark building, while fully respecting and retaining the historic character and principal architecture. The new extension is designed to sympathetically integrate with the original building, carefully unifying both historic and contemporary design, and further enhancing the existing streetscape in this conservation area.
The Castle Club has an anticipated shell & core completion of Q4 2022, with works commencing in early November 2021.
Owner: Thackeray Group
Main Contractor: Knowles
Architect: Darling Associates
Structural Engineer: Engineeria